Randomocracy

I was slightly disappointed to type 'randomocracy' into Google and discover I hadn't invented the word. It had suddenly popped into my head a couple of weeks back, and I felt very proud of myself. Now I'm not so impressed. However, I think my usage of the word is unique, and will become accepted as the principal definition. Not that I hold myself in high esteem or anything.

So, randomocracy. Well, democracy is clearly a bit flawed. It doesn't work very well, as anyone who's given the matter much thought will agree, yet we stick with it. To my mind, those who stand for high office are rendered unsuitable for it by the very fact they want to stand. There are exceptions, of course, such as people who have exciting new ideas, or are trying to depose a party who've been in power too long, but generally, if you wish power upon yourself, you shouldn't be allowed it.

My alternative to democracy is randomocracy, whereby no-one stands for election. Instead, like jury service, people receive letters in the post telling them that they have been selected to serve a term of office:

Dear Mr Herringshaw,

Please come to the Houses of Parliament in a fortnight's time to become MP for Basildon East for the next four years.

Yours sincerely,
Liz Windsor
Randomocracer-in-chief (formerly HM The Queen)

Over time, everyone would serve as a decision-maker of some kind, whether as a local councillor or Lord Chief Justice. There'd be no need for voters, or candidates, or elections, or party political broadcasts, or all the drawn-out slagging matches and interminable media coverage.

Unfortunately, as it is a good idea, randomocracy almost certainly won't happen. Instead, the best I can hope for are probably these:

1. Proportional representation, or;

2. Compulsory voting, but with ballot papers offering the option of 'None Of These Candidates', enabling clear indication of voter dissatisfaction, or;

3. Voter suitability tests, with everyone having the opportunity to vote, but only getting to do so if they can prove they deserve to have a say. If you know nothing about local, current, or international affairs, you are struck off the register until the next assessment period. If you don't know nothing, you don't get no vote.

In the mean time, despite its obvious flaws, I very much hope Barack Obama wins today's election. The ascent during the same week of the first black president of the USA and the first black formula 1 world champion might signify that the world isn't quite as deranged as I feared.

Comments