CCS - a whole lotta learn

Today was the first day of my involvement in a project investigating the role of rock heterogeneities in the feasibility of Carbon Capture and Storage, or CCS.

Carbon capture and storage.

I have learnt many things already.

Firstly, I read a Durham University press release on Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR), from which I discovered that injecting carbon dioxide (CO2) into North Sea oil reservoirs would generate enough oil to "power, heat and transport the UK for two years."

The heat and power sound great, especially with current domestic energy prices, but I'm not so keen on us being transported for two years.  Where would we end up?

Then I was looking into saline aquifers, where CO2 might be stored, and examined a website from the Massachussetts Institute of Technology (MIT).  The porosity and permeability of the aquifers will affect how much CO2 can be stored, but 'policy makers must determine...the ownership of pore space.'

I'd never thought of such a concept, and found myself turning all Cockerney:

"Oi, you 'orrible berk! Get your greasy 'ands off my pore space!"

How much of your pore space do you own?


Finally, I was trying to find out about existing CCS projects.  I learnt that Sleipner, in the Norwegian North Sea, was the world's first commercial, full-scale CCS plant.  Due to a typo, however, I discovered first that Sleipnir was a Norse octohorse.

Who knows what exciting discoveries await me tomorrow?

Comments